Everyone occasionally feels sad or blue but these feelings are usually short-lived and pass within a couple of days. When you have depression, it interferes with daily life and causes pain for both you and those who care about you. Depression is a common but serious illness. Many people with a depressive illness never seek help, but the majority, even those with severe depression, can get better with treatment. Psychotherapists, medications, and other methods can effectively treat those suffering from depression.
People suffering from depression often report the following signs and symptoms:
- Aches or pains, headaches, cramps, digestive problems that do not ease even with medical treatment
- Difficulty concentrating, remembering details and making decisions
- Fatigue and decreased energy
- Feelings of hopelessness or pessimism
- Feelings of guilt, worthlessness or helplessness
- Insomnia, early-morning wakefulness or excessive sleeping
- Loss of interest in activities or hobbies once pleasurable, including sex
- Persistent sad, anxious or “empty” feelings
- Overeating or loss of appetite
- Thoughts of suicide, suicide attempt
When we work with clients living with depression, our overall approach is to help them understand that life can become isolating and difficult to manage. Depression robs us of our sense of connection and our hope that things can change. BeYOUtiful Minds & Fitness understands that you are not your symptoms, and together we can fight against the depression to increase your mood. We'll help you embrace a new way of living through physical and mental fitness.